Older home that seems to have a lot of surges in power

Question: We have an older home and seem to have a lot of surges in power. We have purchased a surge protector for our computer but wonder if we need them for our other more expensive appliances.
Answer: Homeowners possessing numerous expensive appliances such as VCRs and computers should equip their house with a whole-house surge suppressor rather than individual plug-in surge protectors. Power surges can occur very easily, be it from turning on a home appliance or from receiving an energy surge from a nearby source, and these frequent surges can gradually break down a home's wiring insulation. A whole-house surge suppressor, which several companies will install complete with a $10,000 damage warranty, will offer the best protection for expensive appliances. These suppressors can either be mounted on the circuit break box, mounted under the electric meter, or installed into a snap-in circuit breaker. The level of protection depends on the model, but certain features to look for are the magnitude of the surge that can be dissipated, the speed of reaction, and the amount of voltage that triggers a surge block. Some new suppressors are also designed to protect a home's phone, cable, and modem lines. 2009 Information.Inc.

For answers to your real estate questions, call Allison at 970-468-6800. Email - [email protected]. Allison is a long time local in Summit County. Summit Real Estate – The Simson/Nenninger Team is located at the Dillon Ridge Marketplace. Allison’s long-time residency and years of real estate experience can help you make the most of any buying or selling situation. She’s a Certified Residential Specialist (CRS), the highest designation awarded to a Realtor in the residential sales field. Her philosophy is simple, whether buying or selling, she understands that the most important real estate transaction is yours.  Want to know the value of your Summit County property? Visit www.SummitHomeValue.com   

Post a Comment